Whether travelling alone or within a group, you can be confident that you will be safe in Ulaanbaatar if you know the proper safety precautions:
- Make sure the taxi has a meter and only pay according to the meter rather than the word of the driver.
- It is advised to shop at stores that have clear price indications.
- It is advised to check the prices on the menu in restaurants before making an order. In some cases, the price may not be on the menu. If so, ask for the price before making an order.
- Keep your valuable belongings intact with you while travelling in public transportations and crowded places.
- Don’t carry loads of cash and other valuable items.
In order to ensure safety for foreign travellers, there are tourist information centers located in busy areas. Public police and student police patrol public places during tourist peak season (June, July and August). They help to settle arguments and complaints as well as provide English, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Russian translation services.
If you lost your valuables or were a victim to theft or physical harm, then urgently dial 102 to contact the police. This not only helps the police record crimes against foreign tourists and facilitate a solution, but also helps the party who wants to file an insurance claim gather the necessary documents. Insurance companies require a police report as evidence of the perpetuated crime. Therefore, it is advisable for the tour guide to accompany his/her guest to the police station to help file a report. Please follow guidelines set forth by the police or security personnel in restricted areas or places where roads are temporarily closed and please carry required permits and licenses with you if such were provided. (All police departments and divisions in the city as well as in provincial administrative centers throughout the country have been tasked to record a police report and hand out a written statement to any crime involving theft and physical harm).
Tourist Information Center: (976) 70108687, working hours: 09:00-20:00
Police Department: 102
Fire Department: 101
Railroad Inquiry: 1900-1949
Airport Inquiry: 1900-1980
Information Directory on all services: 1900-1950 (with charge, English option available)